- Apply until 31/01/2023 (DD/MM/YYYY) 23:59 (Brussels time)
- Faculty of Bioscience Engineering
- Department BW25 – Biotechnology
- AAP temporary appointment – 100%
- Number of openings: 1
- Reference number: 202211/BW25/DA/007
About Ghent University
Ghent University is a world of its own. Employing more than 8,000 people, it is actively involved in education and research, management and administration, and technical and social services on a daily basis. It is one of the largest, most exciting employers in the area and offers great career opportunities. With each of its 11 faculties and more than 100 departments offering state-of-the-art study programmes that are grounded in research in a wide range of academic fields, Ghent University is a logical choice for its employees as well as its students.
- At least 70% of your assignment will be spent on academic research, and more specifically by supporting running FWO and GOA projects on RNAi in plants and/or protein-carbohydrate interactions.
- You will assist in teaching activities at the Bachelor’s or Master’s level, and more specifically the courses Protein Chemistry (MSc), Analytical Biochemistry (BSc, GUGC), Gene Technology and Molecular Diagnostics (BSc).
- You will counsel Master’s students in their exercises, work placement and Master’s dissertation.
- You will counsel doctoral students working on projects in the field of plant biotechnology.
What we are looking for
- You hold a doctoral degree Bioengineering Sciences, Applied Biological Sciences or equivalent. For diplomas awarded outside the European Union, a certificate of equivalence (NARIC) must be submitted. The degree requirements need to be fulfilled at the start of your appointment.
- You have already conducted research within the field of Biotechnology or Protein Chemistry.
- You have distinguished yourself as a promising researcher in your doctorate.
- You are profoundly interested in coaching students in the Bachelor’s, Master’s and/or Advanced Master’s programmes.
- You may present relevant scientific publications in (inter)national peer-reviewed academic journals that are widely disseminated.
- You have good knowledge of English, good knowledge of Dutch is an advantage.
What we can offer you
- We offer you a temporary appointment of 3 years. A second appointment of up to 3 years can follow, subject to a favourable evaluation of the first term.
- Even if you have already been appointed earlier (whether or not at another university and whether or not in the same field of discipline) in a first term of up to three years, you can apply.
- The second appointment does not have to be immediately connected to a first term.
- Your appointment will start on 1 January 2023 at the earliest.
- Your remuneration will be determined according to salary scale AAP5. More information about our salary scales.
- All Ghent University staff members enjoy a number of benefits, such as a wide range of training and education opportunities, 36 days of paid leave, bicycle commuting reimbursement, ecocheques, etc. A complete overview of all our fringe benefits (in Dutch).
Apply online through the e-recruitment system before the application deadline (see above). We do not accept late applications or applications that are not sent through the online system.
Your application must include the following documents:
- In the field ‘Cv’: your cv and an overview of your relevant scientific publications (merged into one pdf file)
- In the field ‘Cover letter’: your application letter in pdf format
- In the field ‘Diploma’: a transcript of the required degree (if already in your possession). If you have a foreign diploma in a language other than our national languages (Dutch, French or German) or English, please add a translation in one of the mentioned languages.
- In the field ‘Certificate of equivalence’: only for diplomas awarded outside the European Union a certificate of equivalence (NARIC) must be submitted. (This can be requested via http://www.naricvlaanderen.be/en). For diplomas awarded in the UK before January 31st of 2020, a certificate of equivalence is not required.
Note that the maximum file size for each field is 10 MB.
As Ghent University maintains an equal opportunities and diversity policy, everyone is encouraged to apply for this position.
For more information about this vacancy, please contact Prof. Els Van Damme (email@example.com, +32 09/264 59 00).
Do you have a question regarding the online application process? Please read our FAQ.